How long will they last?

From: Captain Napalm <spc_at_armigeron.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 20:54:28 1997

It was thus said that the Great Bill Whitson once stated:

> While I'm at it... What are some other concerns
> along these lines. What should we be planning
> for as these machines grow 5, 10, 15 years older?

  Replacement parts. One of the newsgroups I follow (which is a shadow of a
mailing list) there was major concernt over the availability of floppy drive
controller chip (the 1773 I think). That particular chip isn't being made
anymore.

  Also, on the subject, floppy disks. I've heard they have a shelf life of
approximately 10 years, but so far (knock on formica) I've been lucky
(although out of a box of 10 8" disks, only three were good).

  -spc (Oh, don't forget lack of documentation - I have tons of PC cards
        that may well be perfectly good, I just don't know how to set
        them up ... )