Thanks and TRS-80 Score (was Re: Wanted stuff (Was: Pretty good week))

From: J. Maynard Gelinas <jmg_at_iac.net>
Date: Mon Mar 2 11:10:15 1998

> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 22:35:35 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
> To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers" <classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Thanks and TRS-80 Score (was Re: Wanted stuff (Was: Pretty good week))
>

> The first trap is that this monitor has a live (hot) chassis, or at least
> the 115V models do. The video input is opto-isolated so that the TRS-80
> itself can be grounded/floating. This means that you need to be more
> careful than usual when working inside this unit - mains on all the
> exposed metalwork is a good way to get killed! In fact, I'd say that you
> shouldn't attempt to repair this unit unless (a) you have an isolation
> transformer and (b) you know why you should use one.

        Thanks Tony. I didn't know this, and don't consider myself
competent enough to open up the box and do more than clean the pots.
I've done some simple work (replacing flybacks, logic boards, etc) on
VT100's previously - if I do decide to open this thing up, rather than
using another monitor, I'll be extra careful and make certain to let
it sit and dicharge it's capacitors before opening.

J. Maynard Gelinas