Thanks and TRS-80 Score (was Re: Wanted stuff (Was: Pretty good week))

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Mon Mar 2 11:38:12 1998

<> The first trap is that this monitor has a live (hot) chassis, or at lea
<> the 115V models do. The video input is opto-isolated so that the TRS-80
<> itself can be grounded/floating. This means that you need to be more

BIG TIME!!!! Take all the care in the world with this one.

FYI the monitor is isolated from the trs80 via opto isolators so there is
no DC or AC connection between the two. The optos are pressed real hard
to run at video (luminance) rates so they can sometime be a cause of porr
video.

<> careful than usual when working inside this unit - mains on all the
<> exposed metalwork is a good way to get killed! In fact, I'd say that yo
<> shouldn't attempt to repair this unit unless (a) you have an isolation
<> transformer and (b) you know why you should use one.

Having worked on these at Tandy I can say first hand that is no lie!
I've been wacked a few time over the years, it hurts...if your lucky!

<I've done some simple work (replacing flybacks, logic boards, etc) on
<VT100's previously - if I do decide to open this thing up, rather than

Vt100s are line isolated and a bit safer save for the hi-volts on the CRT.

Allison