Wanted stuff (Was: Pretty good week)

From: Brian L. Stuart <stuart_at_colossus.mathcs.rhodes.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 2 13:25:59 1998

In message <m0y8r9N-000Iy8C_at_p850ug1>, ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk writes:

>> the name Linn and the funny spelling, I keep thinking this is something
>> like a turntable, but if so, why mention it here? What is it?
>
>It _is_ the Linn Hi-Fi company, but it's a microprocessor, not a turntable.

And the Linn Smart Computing subsidiary in particular.

>I don't think it ever went into production (which means the chances of
>finding one are pretty remote), but IIRC it's a
>microprocessor/microcontroller with an instruction set optimised for
>object-orientated programming. I don't know that much about it, but I
>know enough to know that I want one !

The November 1988 (almost 10 years) issue of Byte has a good article
on it. That's an issue worth having anyway since it has the first
view of the NeXT most of us saw.

The CPU is indeed object oriented and is built using three gate arrays,
the Numerik, the Logik and the Objekt. The article shows a VME board
called HADES with a complete Rekursiv system. The board is of course
driven by the Klok chip.

>> Kip Crosby engine_at_chac.org
>
>-tony

Brian L. Stuart