Telebit modems

From: J. Maynard Gelinas <jmg_at_iac.net>
Date: Mon Mar 2 17:50:56 1998

> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:28:55 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa_at_alph02.triumf.ca>
> To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers" <classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Telebit modems
>
> > OK, so this is off topic for the list charter, but I have a
> > friend with a Telebit V.34 28.8 modem (part number AP-8810SA-001)
> > which doesn't have a power adapter. Does anyone know (just hoping -
> > not really expecting) what this thing is looking for in terms of
> > power, and if it takes a common transformer?
>
> What sort of connecto does it have for the adapter? Is it a coaxial
> jack, a DIN, or a weird 3-pin doodad?
>
> Tim.

        Tim,
        No DIN or weird 3 pin doodad, in fact it looks like I could go
out to RS and buy any 'ol wall transformer for it. The connector is
the same used in US Robotics modems, most Walkmans, portable CD
Players, etc. Basically a hollow cylinder on the jack with conductors
on the inside and outside of the cylinder. This plugs into the back
of the modem, which has a recepticle for the plug containing a small
pin in the center. I'm sure you know what I mean, but I don't know
the term for this kind of plug.

        Anyway, it looks deceptivly simple, but I don't want to go out
and buy the wrong transformer only to discover that I've blown the
modem. Does it take 12V, 9V, 3V, AC or DC (probably DC)? Oh well. I
also wrote Telebit, which was recently bought out, but I'm not
expecting an answer from them any time soon.

Thanks for the quick responce!
--jmg