Telebit modems

From: J. Maynard Gelinas <jmg_at_iac.net>
Date: Mon Mar 2 18:54:34 1998

> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 16:07:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa_at_alph02.triumf.ca>
> To: "Discussion re-collecting of classic computers" <classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu>
> Subject: Re: Telebit modems
>
> Most modems take AC line transformers, so they can easily generate the
> positive and negative voltages that real RS-232 interfaces need. If
> you take the cover off and find a diode bridge rectifier at the coaxial
> jack, you want an AC adapter. Probably 12 VAC or so.
>
> Most modems list the power requirement on the FCC sticker on the bottom.
> Is this missing from yours?

        Well, I opened up the modem and you're right about all. The
modem did have a diode, as well as a fuse. I plugged in an old US
Robotics transformer and it worked... thanks for the help! As for the
FCC sticker, yes it was on the bottom but nowhere on the modem was a
statement about power requirements - not even inside on the MB. Oh
well.

--maynard