Helios II disk drive - Sol-20

From: James Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Wed Mar 4 13:29:50 1998

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Marty wrote:

> Thanks Sam. The video garbage is all over the screen, even overlaying
> the > prompt (I'll have to fire this up tonight to double-check as I
> haven't had at this machine for a few days). Anyway, if roms go wrong
> is there a source for replacements (wishfull thinking)?

Hmmm... gets me to thinking. Is there any pattern to this "garbage"?
(same characters repeated, etc.) The character display is read directly
out of the 1k of video ram (term used VERY loosely) in the system (static
ram, no refresh issues), and a bad RAM chip or dirty socket can often show
up like this.

This does assume that you are actually getting the SOLOS prompt (">"). If
what you are seeing on the display is a repeating pattern of a graphic and
a 9 (think that is close) which seems to flicker a bit, this would
indicate a problem with the 'Personality Module' or surrounding circuitry.
(ROM bad/missing, module bad/missing, etc...)

Also, is the image otherwise stable? (not rolling and such) If so, then
the bulk of the video sub-system is more or less ok.

-jim
---
jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com
The Computer Garage - http://www.rdrop.com/~jimw