Datanumerics DL8A is here! Have a peek _at_ ...

From: Andrew Davie <adavie_at_mad.scientist.com>
Date: Thu Mar 5 16:10:56 1998

OK, I've kind of settled on an approact to restoring the DL8A. I figure I'm
completely unqualified to do any of this and so will rely upon advice and
help from those of you who are.

I think the first and most important step is to back-up the extant 1702 boot
program. I've been thinking about this one (re: bit rot); would it be
possible to get a disassembly of the code to see if it looks OK? It can't
be too big - only 4 eproms total. Does bit rot proceed on a bit-by-bit
basis, or are whole segments knocked out at a go (ie: bytes/multiples)? I
presume that it will be possible to restore the boot program if there is
some significant part of the eproms intact - opcodes anyway...

The disassembly should give some clues as to operation of the machine, too.

So, firstly I ask if anyone with a 1702 programmer who would be prepared to
handle copying these 4 eproms for me to wave their hands in the air. I'll
also need 4 of the 1702 eproms, so would appreciate anyone with those to
also wave their hands. And finally, I'm looking for a PC based 8080A
disassembler. My plan is to pull the chips and airmail them to a kind
volunteer. Actually - although I don't have a lot to spend - I will be most
happy to pay for the preservation (restoration?) of these data. I think its
important.

I do believe this machine is possibly unique; certainly rare - and worth
restoring properly. I would note that the cosmetics are near flawless;
this bodes well for the electronics inside, no?

Cheers