Datanumerics DL8A is here! Have a peek _at_ ...

From: Andrew Davie <adavie_at_mad.scientist.com>
Date: Thu Mar 5 18:05:56 1998

>Are there any markings on the stickers covering the 1702A windows?

Only numbers identifying their position.

>What do you know of the history of the machine? Was it used for data
>acquisition? Was it used for industrial control? Who was the previous
>owner? What might they have used it for?

This from the gent I bought it from.. this is ALL i know.
"Hmmm.... The DL8a came in a job lot at an auction... It came with a CRDS
PDP11/23 clone, A gutted Universe, a 19" monitor, several hundred kilos of
RT-11
and Unix manuals, several hundred 8" disks, and some other bits and
pieces.."

>The EPROM's might hold bootstrap code, they might hold software that
>drive some sort of device that you don't have, they might contain
>a monitor, it's hard to tell.

A disassembly will make that easy(ish) to determine, surely!

>Have you checked out the power supply yet? This is definitely the
>first priority.

No, I've not checked it - having no equipment. I don't intend to supply
power to it at all until I get those EPROMS copied. So I'm thinking it's
actually a lower priority. I'll check the power while the eproms are away
being saved.