Old computer still accessible on internet?

From: Sam Ismail <dastar_at_wco.com>
Date: Thu Mar 5 19:55:51 1998

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Russ Blakeman wrote:

> Cord Coslor & Deanna Wynn wrote:
>
> > Just what exactly does it take to 'telnet' to a site...
>
> Essentially the net address directs to an outdial line at the server,
> and when you "telnet" you are basically connecting to the telephone
> lines from the internet. It takes an ISP that can provide the service
> and a dedicated inbound line to a BBS, or in some cases I think an ISDN
> line full time can handle it. I've never done it but dealved into it
> some when considering putting a link to my BBS (when I had it running).
> At $155 month for a connection from the ISP, I declined.

Huh?

Telnet is a way to connect to other hosts on the internet. For instance,
you could go:

telnet wco.com

and get the login: prompt for the ISP I use.

telnet whitehouse.gov

will get you nowhere as it refuses the connection.

I think Russ may have been thinking of Telenet, which was an X.25 packet
switch data service that Sprint use to offer.

Sam Alternate e-mail: dastar_at_siconic.com
Computer Historian, Programmer, Musician, Philosopher, Athlete, Writer, Jackass

                   Coming Soon...Vintage Computer Festival 2.0
                   See http://www.siconic.com/vcf for details!