Datanumerics DL8A is here! Have a peek _at_ ...

From: Andrew Davie <adavie_at_mad.scientist.com>
Date: Fri Mar 6 21:34:14 1998

Well the bottom line is... I'm not an electronics guy.
The option I will be following is getting the 1702A EPROMS copied and

    a) backed up to several media formats
    b) duplicated to new 1702As.

>I supose the solution is for him to build a 1702 reader (which is a lot
>simpler than the programmer!) and to read the EPROMs himself.

>The ultimate solution would be for somebody to program a 'spare' 1702
>with a known byte sequence, and use that to test the homebrew reader. A
>lot of work, though.

No, this isn't a solution. I'm a software guy - I'll re-engineer the 8080A
code if and when necessary, but there's no way I'm going to build hardware
for this thing. I just want to copy some EPROMS... not delve into clever
engineering to make them redundant! By the way, I have found several 8080A
disasemblers for MSDOS. THere are quite a few websites around carrying such
goodies.

> Or the one that's
>X-rayed with a sufficient dose to damage the chips, or the one that's
>lost, or whatever.

Is the X-Raying a valid problem? Will X-Rays further damage already fragile
EPROMS? As I said, I may have found myself four 1702A EPROMS, the only
problem here is getting the code from A to B. Maybe the ideal solution
would be for me to borrow a 1702 reader and do the job over here. That way,
the irreplacible EPROMs don't travel at all.

Cheers