Annals of OS and network history

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Tue Mar 10 06:18:33 1998

<Nobody has ever made a Turing machine (it's that nasty infinitely long
<tape that keeps getting in the way), but that reminds me of something I'v
<been looking for. Didn't Danny Hillis make a computer from TinkerToys
<(TM) as part of his PhD thesis or something? I've been looking for the
<schematics....

Yes I know but it has been done. Back when shift registers were commonly
available with lengths of 1024 bits it was very trivial to string a few
and get really long serial memory. With moden megabit rams it's not that
much more difficult. The tape was not so much the problem but the
programing...

Allison