DEC 5500

From: Mzthompson <Mzthompson_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Mar 12 17:32:57 1998

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 Nick Amato <naamato_at_wooj.merit.edu> wrote:

>I have the opportunity to snarf a DEC 5500 for free. This is a
>refrigerator-sized Q-bus machine that runs an old version of
>Ultrix (which is 4.2 BSD based).
>
>There are several cages of disks in the package. Supposedly,
>around 2 GB total storage. And, a few DECprinters (9-pin dot matrix).
>
>And, I'm told that it boots.
>
>Has anyone had any sort of experience with one of these?

Yeh, I've got one, and even better, the book for it.
It uses the KN220 CPU module set running at 30MHz, 32 bit data path
It has Ehternet support (both AUI and thinwire) using the DESQA controller.
It supports DEC's DSSI drives (i.e. RF71 380M, RF72 1G) and will mount
  three of these in the BA213 cabinet
Mine supports SCSI drives (i.e. RZ55 300M, RZ56 600M) and has an iterface
  for external drives
It will support DEC's SDI drives (i.e. RA series) using a KDA50 module set.
It has a serial console port using DEC's MMJ connector
Mine has a TK70 tape drive using a TQK70 controller
It will support the TK50Z tape drive on the SCSI bus
  or the TK50 drive using a TQK50 contoller
It will support the TLZ04 tape drive on the SCSI bus
It will support the TU81 tape drive using a KLESI controller
  (I think I have a spare controller somewhere.)
Mine has two MS220-AA 32 Mbyte memory boards, I think it supports 4 total

It supports the Ultrix operating system, version 4.0 or later.
This is the same as for the DS2100/3100, 5000, and 5400.

By all means snarf it up.

Mike