IBM S/s

From: John Rollins <rexstout_at_ptld.uswest.net>
Date: Fri Mar 13 13:03:47 1998

>How about 1130, 1401, 7090, 4300 series? And the ancestor of
>the powerPC, what was it, 801?

I thought we were just looking for System/x or Series/x systems.
Here's what I can think of:
Series/1 minicomputer 1977-1991
Advanced(or sometimes Application) System/400 minicomputer 1988-xxxx
System/88 minicomputer? Around about the same time as the Series/1
System/3 minicomputer This is an old one...
System/23 I guess this would be a minicomputer/terminal combo...
System/32 I'm pretty sure this existed, or maybe all these numbers are
mixing me up
System/34 minicomputer from the mid to late 70's
Then came the System/38,
And THEN the System/36!
Personal System/2(8088-486) Around 1990 or so.
Personal System/1 I don't know anything about these...
System/360 Mainframe from the 60's... Kinda funny. 360 as in all-around
computing, and it matches the year, too...
System/370 Mainframe from the 70's...
System/390 Mainframe from the 90's... Hey, what happened to the 80's?
RS/6000 Big powerful workstations...
ES/9000 The newest mainframes, IIRC

I like minicomputers, but mainframes are a bit much. Too big, need too much
power, too much maintenance, too expensive... Minicomputers are just plain
cool. I think over on midrange-l someone said that there was a System/34
below a fire in an office building, 8" of water on the floor by the time
everything was over. They drained the room(and I assume dried out the
computer) and it started right up! As for micros, they are a pain in the
***... Same goes for any computer with a screwed up OS and no install
tapes(in this case, my Apollo 3500. Although I think I almost have the tape
drive working...).

| http://members.tripod.com/~jrollins/index.html - Computers |
| http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/1681/ - Star Trek |