Getting bent (ON topic if not thread)

From: Max Eskin <maxeskin_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 13 18:17:08 1998

The reason why people think it's "illegal" to solder PC parts is
because high temeratures can damage semiconductors, or so it says on
every soldering guide I have ever seen. That's what those heat sinks
are for. Now about the sockets, I'd imagine quite a few SIMMS were
broken trying to fit them in. While mostly, it's easy, I had to
pound on some DIMMS I was installing into 10 Macs recently. By the
way, does anyone want an Orchid RAM expansion board for a PS/2?
Sorry, no driver files or anything. I will give it for free. AFAIK,
it works and has either 1, 1.5, or 2 MB RAM on it.

>I've seen this stated on several newsgroups as well, but I can't
>understand why it's impossible to solder a new SIMM socket onto a
>motherboard. You can break up the old one, desolder the pins one at a
>time, fit a new one (I've seen them on sale in the UK), and solder it
in.
>Takes about 10 minutes. I've done it before now.
>
>There is a myth doing the rounds that it's impossible to use a
soldering
>iron on PC parts. I don't know where it came from, but it's 100% false.
>
>BTW, I've seen a few non-name SIMMs with dry joints between the
>surface-mount chips and the carrier board. Resoldering those was an
>entertainment...
>
>Probably more on-topic for this list is a 30 pin SIMM that I have in my
>spares box. It's 256K*9, using pin-through-hole chips (normal 41256
DRAMs