What's with the raw HTML?

From: Wirehead Prime <wirehead_at_retrocomputing.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 12:23:59 1998

Here's what I think the answer is:

Often, when I read email coming out of funky MicroSatan email software, I
get the bizarro HTMLesque stuff...especially when I use PINE on one of my
Linux boxes, which is pretty much the email software I use always.

I don't think the sender INTENDS to send out HTML. If you really look
close at such messages, you will see an actual message in there somewhere
buried amongst the tags. And I've had friends send me email with exactly
the same results which, when read on a client like Eudora or Netscape,
look fairly normal. Because it's a MIME-multipart message, I think it
contains a plaintext version of the message AND the HTML-ified version,
which is what your plaintext email reader is seeing while Eudora and
Netscape can pick out the plaintext version.

The solution is to turn away from MicroSatan and turn your eyes, instead,
upon the glorious light of Linux. =-D

Anthony Clifton - Wirehead