request for comments on some used equipment

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Sat Mar 14 13:05:07 1998

At 02:48 AM 3/14/98 +0000, you wrote:
>> >- Amstrad PCW 8256 (z80/cpm system?)
>>
>> Yes, CPM system. I've seen two of these for sale in in the past week.
>> Apparently they sold most of these as word processors and not as computers.
>> These require the special 3 inch disks, so you may want to be sure it
>> includes some since they're hard to find.
>
>It is possible to fit 3.5" drives into these machines. AFAIK, all you
>have to do is match up signals between the 34 pin connector on the 3.5"
>(720K, of course) drive and the 26 pin connector in the machine. I can
>look up pinouts of the latter in the service manual.
>

>> >- Sanyo MBC 550 (straight PC clone?)
>>
>> A pain in the A__! I used to have one. I requies special DOS and won't
>> run a lot of the MS-DOS software, Skip it!
>
>All the more reason to save it!. It's a reasonably uncommon machine IMHO.
>So what if it doesn't run most MS-DOS software - nor do most of my
>machines. We have PC's for that :-)

   I used to have tons of software specificly for the Sanyo. I'll have to
look and see if any of it's still around. If it is you're welcome to it.
I sunk a fortne in my Sanyo, I wouldn't have another one if you gave it to
me. I bless the day that the PC clones became available.

>Seriously, there are 2 classes of machine in my collection. The first are
>machines like (although I hate to say it) the PC I'm typing this on,
>PERQs, PDP11's, PDP8's, etc - machines that run useful programs, and are
>useful computers. The second is machines which, although interesting
>computers, and worth preserving are not so useful. In my case these
>consist mainly of home micros. I keep them running, and I use them from
>time to time. But if I want to write a letter, or do some programming, I
>use one of the first category of machines. Of course how you group your
>machines depends on what you want to do with them.
>
>The Sanyo is in the sceond group IMHO. It's still worth preserving.

  That's only becuase you never had to try to use one!

 Joe