Getting bent (ON topic if not thread)

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 13:50:58 1998

<>FYI in the old days when people would salvage chips of old unmarked card
<>a popular way to remove them was a propane torch and pliers!
<
<Old days??? I recovered chips using this method a few months ago...

Same here but some of the kids may never have heard of a propane torch!

<Cool! If one is careful, there is more than just chips that can be
<recovered using this method -- at one point in time I could recover usabl
<chip sockets (even some 40-pinners) that I'm still using for other
<projects, and I now have a *boatload* of 8-switch DIP switch packages fo
<my hardware playing...

Also SIP resistor packs, caps and even SMT devices.

I've also been known to use gas stoves and even electric stoves. I've
found the electic stoves with care can be used to pull chips with no
board damage.

Allison