What's with the raw HTML?

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Sat Mar 14 21:25:28 1998

On Mar 14, 12:16, Kip Crosby wrote:
> >I don't think the sender INTENDS to send out HTML. If you really look
> >close at such messages, you will see an actual message....

Sure, but it's no less irritating. I've stopped reading most of them. Once or
twice I've replied with suggestions to fix it; sometimes the sender has even
fixed it :-)

> That's it. MIME-enabled clients read the MIME part; MSIE4 reads the HTML
> part; MS-Outlook and Outlook Express I _think_ offer the choice between the
> two. Microsoft no longer considers flat-ASCII mail to be an important
> fraction of the traffic.

Unfortunately, quite a lot of *mail* readers can't handle that, especially the
"multipart/alternative" header. Zmail stubbornly refuses to display either
part, so I resort to /usr/sbin/Mail or /usr/bsd/mail if it's important. As far
as I'm concerned, MIME is fine, but HTML has no business in email.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science