Series/1 noisese and failures... 4967 dead?

From: John Rollins <rexstout_at_ptld.uswest.net>
Date: Sat Mar 14 18:53:25 1998

>Just curious...
Curiosity killed the cat... Lucky we aren't cats! ;-)

>Why not run a 240 V circuit to the S/1? Depending on the local electrical
>code, it would be either easy, or very easy. Do not let the 240 scare you.
I'm not scared of it(or at least not any more than 120V or the 20kV in
monitors), and it would be relativley easy to install a 220v outlet, but it
would be more convenient to convert it to 110v. There is an unused 220v
outlet in the attic I could bypass and reroute it to the basement, and
there is any empty spot in the breaker box, but it's more fun to play
inside the Series/1. I'll learn house wiring later, right now I'm just
going to convert the system. BTW, I have pulled the 220v motor out of the
floppy drive, and the transformer is already set for 110v, all I need now
is a new motor, cord and fuse and that will be done. The 4967 needs two new
motors(one for the actual drive, one for the colling fan) and a fuse(I
kinda have a cord hooked up), and the CPU jst needs a new fuse and cooling
fan motor. I'm ignoring the 4959 right now, I don't really need it yet, and
I haven't looked at the 4968 tape drive yet.

| http://members.tripod.com/~jrollins/index.html - Computers |
| http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/1681/ - Star Trek |