What's with the raw HTML?

From: Allison J Parent <allisonp_at_world.std.com>
Date: Sun Mar 15 11:11:48 1998

<> Umm, HTML is pretty much a standard no matter what platform you are on
<> is most certainly not platform dependent. The standard for 1.1 is spec
<> in RFC 2068 and for 1.0 in RFC 1945. If you mean that there are not st
<> tools to read html'ized mail under unix/linux, I say Netscape is availa
<> for almost any linux and most other unices running on sparc/intel/alph
<> hardware. I don't argue that HTML rich text is fine for mailing lists
<> however if you are going to argue that it is not you should formulate
<> proper argument.

OK,

What HTML utility works on my pro350 under venix.
Same question for my PDP-11s running RT-11?
Or my ISP shell account (choice of ELM, PINE or MAIL)?
Then there is the matter of my laptop (EPSON PX-8 running CP/M-80)?
How about my VS2000 tunning ultrix-4.2 off a 71meg disk?
Then there is the matter of my vaxen running VMS-5.5?

The assumption of HTML standard, is modern CPU, lot's of ram, fast modem
big disk and bandwidth to waste when the message doesn't warrent any of
the above. This is particulary true when in some cases the message is
repeated twice in clear text and HTML. Myself I find ti analogous of a
ham firing up a full kilowatt to talk to the guy across the street,
excessive and burdening to others.

Both RFCs are not retro specification and do not make HTML required.
They do make clear what HTML is and hwo to deal with it.

Allison