Update on Sun3 and shoebox

From: J. Maynard Gelinas <jmg_at_iac.net>
Date: Sun Mar 15 19:56:58 1998

        Hi Rich,
        I think when you b st(controller LUN file) file the sun3
_automatically_ assumes st is at LUN 4. So, presuming your QIC tape
is actually set at SCSI ID 4, you should boot it like 'b st' which
defaults as 'b st(0,0,0)', with (0,4,0) being _implied_ (yes, I think
it's weird too). Now INSTALL mentions that you may have to use the
'conv=osync' argument to dd if makeBootTape doesn't work. 'osync' is
not in my linux man pages, however sync is. It allows one to pad a
number of nulls defined by ibs per input block. Don't know if osync
is different, however.

        Honestly, I just installed NetBSD on my Sun3x and I used the
Netboot method, almost painlessly. I didn't fiddle with old, klunky,
tapes, or a tape drive standard older than Rip Van Windkle (**cough**,
on topic discussions here asside).

        I strongly suggest you Netboot the sucker. I found it a
snap. Also, change the tape drive to SCSI 4, and then do a b
st(0,0,0). Also, see:

http://doener.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/install/install.phtml

And dont forget your friend 'INSTALL' - helped me handle my first
NetBSD install tremendously!

Cheers,
--jmg