What's with the raw HTML?

From: Bill Yakowenko <yakowenk_at_cs.unc.edu>
Date: Mon Mar 16 21:50:58 1998

Given that a fair number of us are probably reading this on dumb
terminals, HTML and MIME are as out-of-place as binaries.

It strikes me that the mail/HTML thing indicates something about
attitudes, and I'm genuinely surprised that anyone on this list
would push for HTML in e-mail. The wintel PC world thrives on
style over substance; glitz rather than content. It sells to the
mass market that doesn't know any better and never will. If you
have nothing to say, you better say it loudly or no-one will listen.
The spirit of so many of these old machines was the delicate balance
between expressiveness and resource usage. As admirers of that,
shouldn't we, of all people, prefer plain text whenever it suffices?

Put only plain text in my mailbox, please. I'll be quite happy to
visit your pictures and HTML on the web. (URL's _are_ plain text!)

        Bill.