What's with the raw HTML?

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_northernway.net>
Date: Tue Mar 17 13:34:37 1998

;-) Clearing the snow from my glasses, I saw Pete Joules typed:
>From: Uncle Roger <sinasohn_at_ricochet.net>
>>If you can't communicate your meaning with plain text, you better go back
>>and rethink what you're trying to say. Mind you, I don't expect everyone
>>to be a Robert Frost or William Shakespeare, but you should be able to
>>convey an idea in your native tongue.

>Although English would be preferred despite the fact that it is not the
>native tongue worldwide ;-)

Was ist los??? Sprechen Sie keine Deutsch???

Na ja, *Ich* spreche ein bi?chen Deutsch...

Pete, the language you use (english, german (for the example above) etc.)
was not Roger's point. His point is this:

In your native tongue, if you cannot express yourself with plain text
(whichever encoding you require) then HTML won't help you. Period.

Granted, my German is quite rusty & slow, so I do prefer to communication
to this list using English, but if others were to post in German I would
not have a problem with it. As this is an American list, tho, it would
prolly be good manners for foriegn language posters to put a [Deutsch] or
whatever language you posted with in the subject of the message.

AFAIK, Bill Whitson (the owner of the list) has not ruled out
multi-language messages, provided they're on topic.

Zip. That was the sound of my mouth zipping shut on this matter. All else
will be privatized.

See ya,
"Merch"
--
Roger Merchberger       | If at first you don't succeed,
Owner, MerchWare        | nuclear warhead disarmament should