Robots again

From: lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk <(lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk)>
Date: Tue Mar 17 13:41:45 1998

On 1998-03-16 classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu said to lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk
   :Perhaps
   :incredibly, Turing _did_ believe that there was something special
   :about the brain (in particular he could/would not rule out ESP) and
   :so I don't think he would ever have claimed that a Turing Machine
   :could do anything that a human brain could. The TM was designed to
   :solve a specific problem in mathematical theory, rather than as a
   :theoretical ultimate brain.

no, the brain/intelligence thing came with the "turing *test*" which is
the idea that you could converse with a computer on one terminal, a
human on another, and not be able to reliably identify which was which.

(turing was a complex, fascinating, and very innocent human, and he was
treated despicably by the british government after the second world
war.)

   :But now you've got me trying to think of something that an
   :analog(ue) computer can do that a digital one can't.

fuzzy logic...? ;>
--
Communa (together) we remember...             we'll see you falling
you know soft spoken changes nothing             to sing within her...