Arrrgh! Micro$h*t again....

From: lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk <(lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk)>
Date: Tue Mar 17 13:41:39 1998

On 1998-03-16 classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu said to lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk
   :You know Bruce, it's offensive unthinking tirades like yours that
   :make me want to unsubscribe from this list and throw my classic
   :computers in the dumpster just so I would no longer have to count
   :myself among your company.

   :Please give me an insight as to _your_ life's work so that I may
   :call it a steaming pile of horseshit as well.

hey, kai, calm down, everyone has to start somewhere... ;>

seriously, we very much doubt that everyone in microsoft is set upon
filling the world with shite software that slows everything to a dawdle
and destroys competition. however, what peeves us is (a) that microsoft
*have* eliminated competition to a large extent - it's just not healthy!
especially when mr gates has to resort to injecting cash into his most
innovative competitor to keep them in that position (hell, alive!) - and
(b) that microsoft produce software with the emphasis perpetually on
getting people into computers, widening the accessibility of machines,
but not really improving in the way that people who need to use and
develop with computers for a living require. microsoft, even more than
apple these days, produces software "for the rest of us" (inasmuch as
the rest of 'em don't try anything ambitious) but microsoft products
don't include the necessary hooks and extensibility whereby an expert
can get through the easy-features and do things properly with the
minimum of interruption.

if you can carry that message back to the powers that be, we'd all be
very much happier out here. we'd still be worried about the future,
because of the lack of competition, but at least it might not be a
future of unmitigated mediocrity.
--
Communa (together) we remember...             we'll see you falling
you know soft spoken changes nothing             to sing within her...