Irreverence to irrelevance

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_intellistar.net>
Date: Wed Mar 18 09:37:14 1998

Sam,

At 08:23 PM 3/17/98 -0800, you wrote:

> Your input would be greatly appreciated. Your
>criticisms will be answered with fantasticly cruel insults and derision.

  First, I am replying on the list since this directly affects everyone on
the list. If insults and derision is the only response that you can manage
then you have defeated yourself.

>This message is directed to those individuals who care that this mailing
>list has slowly degraded into a usenet newsgroup. The rest of you can
>continue to be unconcerned and skip this message.
>
>Its obvious that this mailing list needs an overhaul. Any attempts to
>steer it back to its proper course of discussion have been either
>ridiculed or ignored.

   Did you ever stop to think that maybe that's because no one else on this
list agrees with *your* version of an overhaul?

>Again, this goes back to my argument a few weeks back when the noise was
>at its loudest, which is that it all boils down to common courtesy and
>respect.

   Where does "fantasticly cruel insults and derision." fit into that?

>In my normal life, I make it a point to break the rules and live against
>convention. I can do that without disturbing the rest of my fellow humans
>because the impact of my actions doesn't reach very far.

   Well this isn't normal life, it's the Internet and your actions reach a
lot further. It appears to me that you seem to be determined to "rock the
boat" (polite term) just for the hell of it.

 Plus I don't
>flout convention just to flout convention, thereby inconveniencing others.
>However, in this tight-knit community where the slightest ripple builds
>into a wave and then a tsunami, it is not appropriate to continually
>transcend the intended use of this forum for one's own personal amusement.

   Wow! If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black! Sam you are one
of the main ones responsible for making a tsunami out of a ripple!
Everytime someone posts something that YOU consider off topic or that YOU
don't agree with, you have to post a long insulting reply. Your replys
provoke further replys. If you don't think a posting is relevent then you
know where the delete key is. I personally get over 400 E-mail messages a
day. I look at everyone of them! If I don't like them I hit ^D and they're
gone and that's that. There's no need to make a stink about eveything that
you don't want to read or that you disagree with.

>When you're in close quarters, you don't fart unless you're an asshole.

   You should listen to your own advise!

>The quality of the PEOPLE on this mailing list has declined considerably.
>It used to be that Bill screened participants before they were allowed to
>join, thereby filtering out the potential riff raff. The community we
>used to have, although semi-exclusive, did produce some excellent
>discussion material. However, now that Bill has fallen off the face of
>the earth and just about anyone with half a brain can join, a good
>majority of the discussion at times is off-topic and boorish. The worst
>case is the one-line reply to the hundred line quoted message. It used to
>be fun to read about classic computers. Now its pretty lame reading about
>[insert off-topic shit here].

   I won't bother responding to a this drivel. All I'll say is that if you
don't like the topics then un-subscribe from the list. I'm not interested
in a lot of the stuff that's posted here but I don't whine about it.

>I think the best approach to this would be to let this stupid mailing list
>die out and

>start an alternate forum.

  PLEASE DO!!!!!!

So I'm going to do just that. I'm
>beginning work on a web BBS which will have multiple topic areas. It will
>be semi-moderated and any inkling of off-topic blather will be expunged
>promptly. Better yet, I may even decide to turn it into a classic BBS
>running on a classic system (I can resurrect the never finished BBS
>software I was writing on my Apple //e). That way, those interested in
>joining will have to take some effort to do so, which will eliminate the
>casual turd.
>
>I'll let interested parties know when this is completed and ready for
>beta. Please e-mail me (need I add "privately"?) with any tips or
>suggestions you may have. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Your
>criticisms will be answered with fantasticly cruel insults and derision.
>
>Sam Alternate e-mail:
dastar_at_siconic.com
----
>Computer Historian, Programmer, Musician, Philosopher, Athlete, Writer,
Jackass
   You forgot "malcontent".
   Just sign me 'Casual Turd',
   Joe