Symbolics 3650..

From: Jack Harper <jharper_at_bs2000.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 11:41:49 1998

Hello to the Classic Computing List -- this is my first post and I am very
glad to have found your group.

Question - I very recently obtained a Symbolics 3650 lisp machine -- along
with six large boxes of associated 'stuff'. With luck, I hope to get this
beast back to life -- it apparently worked prior to being shipped to me (by
truck) but I obviously expect some problems. Does anyone on the List have
any experience or have any available spare parts or documentation -- or,
most important, actual experience with Symbolics lisp machines???

My own personal background -- 25-years programming in Lisp with, oddly,
none whatsoever with *real* lisp machines. I started with Lisp 1.5 on the
Univac 1108 back in 1971 and have worked with the usual variants ever since
-- Common Lisp(s), other 1.5's, etc. I am slowly building an 'Ancient Lisp'
web page (http//www.bs2000.com/talos/7090.htm is the beginning) that will,
hopefully, document as fully as possible the earliest days (1956-1963) of
Lisp with McCarthy and the other pioneers. The page is, at the moment, a
description of the IBM 7090 series of mainframes (709 too) which is where
Lisp was first born/evolved.

BTW -- The Symbolics 3650 is fairly large box -- 3' tall, 1.5' wide, 4'
deep (about) -- the thing weights several hundred pounds.

Regards -- and I certainly appreciate any feedback.

Jack
Jack Harper Bank Systems 2000, Inc.
303-277-1892 Golden, Colorado USA

                "21st Century Financial Applications"
        Optical Cards for Bank, EBT, and Medical Applications
Visit our Web Page: http://www.bs2000.com/talos (Last Update: 970902)