Robots again

From: Joe Thiemann <jthiemann_at_castleton.com>
Date: Wed Mar 18 15:10:03 1998

        <snippage all over the place>

> however, we'd urge you to take a look at some other object oriented
> languages. smalltalk, common lisp, self, oberon, etc. *much* nicer.
> and
> then grab a forth and roll your own :>

        I have done some lisp, (in (mostly Emacs)), so I'm a bit
confused about you grouping Common Lisp with object oriented
languages... could you elaborate? I am somewhat amused by your mention
of forth. I maintain that HP managed to create a good implementation of
an object oriented Forth - RPL. (Maybe they should have called it FORTH
1 +) (Objoke: there is now an object oriented COBOL. It's called ADD 1
TO COBOL GIVING COBOL (yes, before you flame me there are better ways to
increment a variable but I've luckily never had the displeasure of
having to use COBOL. (ObCC: but I _do_ have a COBOL interpreter for my
C= SuperPET - but I only fired it up once to see if the disk was OK. I
also have APL which is _way_ cool.)))

> :I'be not tried VB, and almost zero Java, but I had to use Ada for
> :three years.
>
> oh, someone else. we had to do that, thanks to bradford university's
> oh
> so wonderful degree course. and to think that the oxonians were
> moaning
> about modula-2...

        I remember the hilarious (mis)feature of Moduala-2's
"dual-tasking"... This was the language we had to use for "Intro to
Operating Systems"... <shudder>

> ada is a disgusting language, not because it is verbose or hard to
> program, but because it introduces another language - and a vast one
> at
> that - without giving anything *new*; it doesn't give value for money.
> size without content.

        The going joke is that somwhere inside Ada is a wonderful,
small, efficient language screaming to get out... anyone remember who
wrote this?
Joachim Thiemann
DSP Coder, Castleton Network Systems
I doubt therefore I might be.