Symbolics 3650..

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 09:40:28 1998

Jack Harper <jharper_at_bs2000.com> wrote:
>Question - I very recently obtained a Symbolics 3650 lisp machine -- along
>with six large boxes of associated 'stuff'.
> Does anyone on the List have
>any experience or have any available spare parts or documentation -- or,
>most important, actual experience with Symbolics lisp machines???

I know of them from the computer graphics market. (I'd love to get
one, if you have two. :-) I think the 3D modeling / rendering
software was sold off to various other companies (Triple-I / Autologic)
and these days at least the concept of a Lisp-based modeler can
be found at www.nichimen.com .

The symbolics.com domain is still registered, and by reading between
the lines of some messages I found, I think it's owned by some
Symbolics enthusiasts or employees in Princeton Junction, NJ.

There is/was apparently a related newsgroup or mailing list. Go to
www.dejanews.com and search "info.slug" (with the quotes). I found
a message that said that Symbolics had laid off its last three
employees just this past January, and that the lawyers are
fighting over the assets.

Good start on your Lisp history page. I have one for UCSD Pascal.

- John
Jefferson Computer Museum <http://www.threedee.com/jcm>