Catweasel, etc.

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Fri Mar 20 09:23:44 1998

"Richard A. Cini" <rcini_at_email.msn.com>
> Here's my idea. Why can't we contact those vendors that are still in
>{corporate} existence and who at one time produced interesting and useful
>hardware or software (examples would be MicroSolutions, or CentralPoint),
>and try to purchase, for nominal $$$, the rights to produce and distribute
>these goods in small quantities.

Because as soon as they think there's a buck to be made, the price
will become prohibitive. :-)

There's some hope for classic computers from the Catweasel people.
In their FAQ, they admit knowledge of eight-inch drives, and would
be willing to add support for them and their disk formats if someone
loaned them a drive and some disks. The problem? They're in Germany.

Andrew De Quincey <adq_at_tardis.ed.ac.uk> recently posted some messages
to various Usenet classic groups regarding a project where he's
capturing the bit-level signals from a drive, and using a Java
program to decode it to higher levels of representation.

I've been improving my ANSI C tools for getting directories and
bursting disk image files for UCSD Pascal and RT-11. Right now
they work on logical-order disk images, but I want to improve them to
read physical-sector-order images, as well as Anadisk's extra
eight-byte sector-header format. Sadly, Anadisk doesn't work under
a WinNT command shell, I have to boot back to DOS.

- John
Jefferson Computer Museum <http://www.threedee.com/jcm>