Heinz Nixdorf

From: James Redin <jredin_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri Mar 20 19:15:46 1998

Dear friends,

I'm recollecting information for an article I will write about the
transition of electro-mechanical calculators to electronic calculators
during the 60's.

I've found that the ANITA from Sumlock Comptometer of England (1963) is
usually regarded as the first electronic calculator [1]. However, recently
I found an article about Heinz Nixdorf of Germany in the LEXICON's History
of Computing (CD-ROM) which indicates that he built several models of
electronic calculators back in 1954 (Models ES12 and ES24).

I haven't been able to obtain more information on these calculators. I
suppose this is because Nixdorf moved soon onto the computers technology
(eventually joining with Siemens).

As a reference, I posted a copy of the Nixdorf article in my web site at
the following address:

http://www.dotpoint.com/xnumber/chistory.htm

Information about the Anita can be found at:

http://www.dotpoint.com/xnumber
SECTION: VINTAGE CALCULATORS --> ELECTRONIC --> ALBUM --> Anita

Any information on this subject will be appreciated.

Regards,

James Redin
[1] Bruce Flamm, "The World's First Electronic Calculator - Who Made It?"
The International Calculator Collector - Fall 1996, Issue #14.