Delay lines

From: Kip Crosby <engine_at_chac.org>
Date: Sat Mar 21 00:43:43 1998

At 22:44 3/20/98 +0000, you wrote:
>> As a teen, I remember disassembling a Freiden (?) calculator, and
>> finding a wire loop memory, several circles about a foot in diameter.
>
>Probably a solid delay line store.

Exactly. In the particular case of the Friden it was called a supersonic
delay line, although I've never been sure why.

>> But the calculator collectors have their own lists, don't they?
>
>True... I'd just not object to the odd thread on [calculators]
>particularly if they were historically significant (the HP9100...),
>technically interesting, or whatever.

Hear, hear! Especially since many so-called calculators were built by
manufacturers not, for whatever reason, prepared to admit they were
building computers -- with IBM and HP springing to mind at once.

Kip Crosby engine_at_chac.org
      http://www.chac.org/index.html
Computer History Association of California