oddball find PS/2-50

From: Lawrence Walker <lwalker_at_mail.interlog.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 23:57:26 1998

On 20 Mar 98 at 23:34, Allison J Parent wrote:

> I was just aquired two PS/2 model 50s. Normally I don't collect older
> PC system but they are interesting.
>
> >From opening them they are MCA bus with 286, 1mb ram, 20mb? HD and 1.44
> floppy. They are complete with reference disk(utilities?). I didn't get
> a keyboard, mouse or monitor with them but they look like typical VGA and
> IBM miniplug nominal stuff. They are said to be working and look pretty
> clean.
>
> Questions, how fast were the 286s?
>
> The hard disk is rather strange with what looks like a 50pin edge
> connector. Obviously some of the extra connections over normal are
> power. is the drive MFM, IDE or what?
>
> What other oddities about these?
>

> Allison

 From Peter Wendt the PS/2 guru :
  [" These "Integrated Harddisks" you most likely meant were used in Mod. 50,
55, 70 and P70. These are ESDI-drives with a combined electronic board
underneath, which is in fact a full MCA-adapter. The device has a Card-ID DF9F.
In IBM-technoslovakian this thing is called "DBA Harddrive", where DBA stands
for "Direct Bus Attachment". Size are 30,40,60,80,120 and 160MB. A 200MB was
available from Conner for some time but not as original part or OEM from IBM.

Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/phwimage1/mcaindex.htm
"Master Of Desaster" - PS/2 expert since 1987 (Sigh !) " ]

 You could also check out the PS/2 FAQ at ComputerCraft. I don't have their
URL handy . If you have any problem finding it , I'll dig it up.

ciao larry
lwalkerN0spaM_at_interlog.com