oddball find PS/2-50

From: lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk <(lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk)>
Date: Sat Mar 21 05:53:13 1998

On 1998-03-20 classiccmp_at_u.washington.edu said to lisard_at_zetnet.co.uk
   :I was just aquired two PS/2 model 50s. Normally I don't collect
   :older PC system but they are interesting.

hmm. that resolves one question - if you've asked this, allison, then we
must be safe to ask something along the same lines...

a few weeks ago now, we picked up an ncr 286 machine with colour monitor
and wonderful keyboard. model number is not obvious, but the case is
flat, about 2" high (the height of a half-height disk drive) and about
the size of a small paving slab; internally, the machine is very odd,
with a backplane architecture, two daughterboards mounted on two boards
in that backplane, and *no* expansion capacity (no free slots). sayeth
the computer that it is a "class 3278 model 0129" machine. our question:
it says on boot-up that it is "running at low speed", which is 6MHz -
how do we get it to run a high speed? there is a switch on the lower
main board that does apparently nothing, and a jumper next to it. we
can't get further into the machine as we don't have the screwdriver...
(it looks like a philips' head, but the slots are too small. what do we
need?) or is it software switched?
--
Communa (together) we remember...             we'll see you falling
you know soft spoken changes nothing             to sing within her...