Kaypro: 81-149C vs. 81-232

From: Pete Turnbull <pete_at_dunnington.u-net.com>
Date: Sun Mar 22 16:19:03 1998

On Mar 22, 7:16, Doug Spence wrote:
> Subject: Re: Kaypro: 81-149C vs. 81-232
>
> Well, I've repeated what I did the other night. I plugged the Kaypro II
> into the Kaypro 2's drives, and vice versa. Just the ribbon cable, not
> the power. Whichever machine was plugged into the Kaypro II's drives was
> able to boot, the machine plugged into the 2's drives just sits there with
> the bootup message and eventually beeps and says "I cannot read your disk"
> (or similar).

I don't know much about Kaypros, but is it possible that one of the sets of
drives is 40-track and the other is 80-track? Or that one set is single-sided
and the other is double-sided? When you start up the machine and it tries to
boot, does a light come on, on the disk drive (which would indicate that the
drive is being accessed)?

> Anyway, the only other thing I could try is to make drive B in the 2 think
> that it's drive A, to see if I can boot from there. Does anyone know how
> these drives decide which one's A and which one is B? And can I switch
> their identities without removing the drives from the metal housing? I
> don't have the proper screwdriver to remove the drives.

Usually there's a set of jumpers, or sometimes a small DIL switch pack, which
select one of four disk addresses. They may be labelled DS0, DS1, DS2, DS3 or
perhaps D1, D2, D3, D4. D0=A and D1=B. You just need to switch the jumper
settings. Even if they're not labeled, you should find that all but one of the
jumpers (the drive select jumper) in one drive match the jumpers in the other
drive (of the ame pair).

If you open up the drive case and tell us what the make and model number of the
actual drive mechanism is, someone can probably tell you the jumper settings
and whether the drive is 40/80 or SS/DS.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Dept. of Computer Science