drive info needed

From: jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca <(jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca)>
Date: Tue Mar 24 05:43:47 1998

All right, guys,

After conferring with Allison, we found out thus:

> <Could you check the grounds on one row of IDE pins it's very easily
> <visiable on solder side if it's more than 4 pins in middle, it's XT
> <ide interface otherwise it's true AT IDE and yeah you can slave this
>
> All the even pins on the drive are ground, it has the 42c22 chip. I
> suspect 8bit (xt) IDE. If mueller is to be believed it's 8bit IDE.

This is right, that 93028-A is original pack with ATA logic board but
somehow was blown, (Commonly happens), so someone found a good XTA
interface logic board from dud 93028-X hd and installed that to this
good pack. I suggest you cross out that -A and scribble on a -X?

I had so many logic boards of all kinds of Tandon make and WD make,
packs were bad too and that shows how high failure rate was with
these design. Worst design indeed. Even the same period of time an
ST1102A had 150K MTBF compared to those drives with 30K.

> <Also, Allison, check that 8 bit card, sometimes it's rare to
> <find one
> <that will support AT IDE drive on that 8 bit card.
>
> I have an accutrack isa-8(xt) adaptor for standard ATA IDE it has a
> miniscribe 8051A hooked to it.
(!!) I have Miniscribe 8051A too. Thermal problem, stays dead but
spinning and making funny noise for few minutes then power cycle it,
comes up fine. This is only oddball hd I know of that used moving
magnet with the coil fixed to the hd case.

Snip.

> They exist. IDE drives plugged into XTs are no big thing and JAMCO or
> JDR has a board for that. A friend has a PS2/30 (ISA bus) with a 420mb
> WD drive via the accutrak adaptor.
>
> I designed an adaptor for my s100 crate to use the 16bit wide ATA ide
> on the z80 (8bit data bus). doing that for XT is about the same task.

I wish I could learn to make a simple adapter for both 16bit and 8
bit wide, using an ATA drive. So far, I was bit frustrated with some
info I found on the net. Did you got good one I that I could
understand how to design one? For starter, making a GOOD complete
buffered type card with IORDY selectable ATA card for ISA bus?
Far as I can understand, a choice of binary setup for first address
10 bits long selects the IDE address beyond that zip.

Many cheapo cards have partial buffering which is bad for the IDE
chipset. Is this assumption correct?

> I can use an 8bit IDE drive for a CPM system.
Then use this that WD 93028-X for this CPM system?

> Allison

Jason D.
email: jpero_at_cgo.wave.ca
Pero, Jason D.