FWIW: Data General One Laptop spotted for sale

From: Doug Yowza <yowza_at_yowza.com>
Date: Tue Mar 24 23:36:46 1998

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Greg Troutman wrote:

> > He wants $500 for it. Such a deal :-)
>
> He also said at the end, "No reasonable offer refused." Just curious,
> what would you consider to be a reasonable offer for one of these. Or
> perhaps more to the point, exactly what is one of these? ;)

The DG/One was a fairly non-descript early 8086 laptop. According to DG's
website, it was the "first truly portable" PC and they made 43,000 of
them:
        http://www.dg.com/about/html/dg-one.html

I don't know what a reasonable offer would be, but it's apparently more
than the $15 I offered :-)

GRiD's clamshell-style Compass laptop preceded the DG/One by a couple of
years (and the GRiD is *much* cooler, IMHO). Perhaps the DG/One was the
first battery-powered PC-compatible laptop? I can't think of an earlier
one of the top of my head.

-- Doug