card reading

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Wed Mar 25 09:39:51 1998

David Wollmann <dwollmann_at_ibmhelp.com> wrote:
>I'm working with
>Hollerith cards on my system right now with an optical card scanner. Data
>storage capacity measured by bytes/pound anyone?

Can you tell us more about what you're doing? Is this a commercial
card reader, or something you built yourself? I was daydreaming
the other day about reading punched cards using a flatbed scanner.
Software to "read" them could be quite simple, and could easily
adapt to the various card geometries. Or you could even make a
reader from a feed-roller and an old hand-held scanner. I find
using today's gizmos to rescue yesterday's data quite interesting...

- John
Jefferson Computer Museum <http://www.threedee.com/jcm>