FWIW: Data General One Laptop spotted for sale

From: Captain Napalm <spc_at_armigeron.com>
Date: Thu Mar 26 03:33:53 1998

It was thus said that the Great Doug Yowza once stated:

> On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, David Mather wrote:
>
> > Well - it wasn't non-descript at the time! It had a full-size (80x25) LCD
> > display and WAS the first >truly< portable PC compatible - depending what
> > you meant by truly of course. Compaq and Olivetti (and Zenith?)
> > had luggable things compared to which the DG1 was extremely
> > elegant, especially with the rather smart beige/brown DG trim. At the
> > time it had "buy me" written all over it.
>
> Both HP and GRiD had similar >truly< portable PC's out before the DG/One.
> The HP 110 was battery-powered, so the DG/One doesn't even get the earlier
> distinction I gave it of being the first battery-powered clamshell.
> However, neither the GRiD nor the HP were 100% IBM compatible, so the
> DG/One may be the winner there.

  And it's not quite 100% IBM compatible as the serial ports are different.
But it does support CGA graphics (320x200 4 color, 640x200 2 color) and it
was expandable to 464K (approximately, I don't recall and I'm a bit lazy to
look it up 8-P RAM and two 3.5" disks (internal).

  The screen is difficult to read, but for what I paid for mine ($0) it's
been a great deal (and yes, I do use mine at least once a week).

  -spc (I just don't have the batteries for it though ... )