Archiving docs

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Tue Mar 31 08:42:55 1998

"Doug Coward" <dcoward_at_pressstart.com> wrote:
> I would like hear from anyone that has done any archiving of their
>classic computer documents and manuals.

I agree with Aaron Finney's suggestions about using B/W "line art"
mode when possible, and the advantages of a 600 dpi laser printer
as opposed to 300 dpi. Also tinker with the JPEG compression settings,
you may be surprised how much space that will save, and how little
it will affect the images. Reload the saved images to examine the loss.

Yesterday I noticed that the latest version of an image thumbnailing
utility, ThumbsPlus, can save HTML versions of the thumbnailed
pages. This may be a very good way to organize your images for
the CD: it would make an HTML page, viewable in any browser, that
showed all the thumbnail versions of the images, and you could
click on any one to enlarge it.

See <http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~itda/frames.html> where
two fellows have laboriously scanned, OCRed and converted to
Adobe Acrobat PDF files several documents including the Shugart
SA-800 floppy service manuals and several Terak docs. An 18-page
service manual with three-four pages of images is 262K.
I plan to archive the ASR-33 service manuals and other Terak docs.

- John
Jefferson Computer Museum <http://www.threedee.com/jcm>