RL02 Positioning Question.

From: Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter_at_shell.monmouth.com>
Date: Sat Mar 28 19:54:46 1998

> > [RL02 tech manual says...]
> > I have the manual, I just wasn't sure about the math required.
>
> OK.... Hope that helps. It makes sense when you think about it.
>

> > [11/83 should have an integer division]
> > I'm using the 11/70 as my model, I do things under E11 and
> > then on the actual hardware. That way if I blast E11 brutally, I'm
> > not out a machine. (I.E. Seeking to track 670 or something...)
>
> Having played about inside RL drives, I'm pretty sure that you can't seek
> the heads past the end stop anyway. It'll give you a seek error, but no
> more. I've tried to step 512 cylinders in from the innermost track with
> no problems.
>
> And the 11/70 certainly has integer division instructions.
>

> > -------
> >

> -tony

The main trick with the RL02 is to remember there's no "Implied Seek"
done on head switch...

The drive was pretty stupid and due to the embedded servo things used to
program older drives like the RK's wouldn't work on them.

Bill

| Bill/Carolyn Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive | Tinton Falls, New Jersey 07724 |
| 908-389-3592 | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware. |
| pechter_at_shell.monmouth.com |