Archiving docs

From: Uncle Roger <sinasohn_at_ricochet.net>
Date: Tue Mar 31 22:03:15 1998

At 11:03 PM 3/30/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm currently using a UMAX 300P that claims a maximum 24 bit color
>resolution of 300x600 dpi. I'm scanning into Photoshop4 and saving

I have the same scanner.

>in JPEG format. I'm trying to save as much information as I can, so
>pages that have any color besides black and white, I'm scanning
>at 299 (that's the max for color) dpi in RGB and and everything else in
>299 dpi grayscale. I'm averaging, for 8.5 x 11 pages, about 5.3 Mb

Actually, 300 is the max without interpolation. Stuff that's truly B&W
should be scanned in B&W mode. The problem is that grayscale picks up
variations in print strength, smudges, etc. B&W says "This dot is more
than x dark, it's black. This dot is less than x dark, it's white."

>for color and 2.1 Mb for grayscale. Just last weekend I burned

B&W will also save disk space.

> I printed two of the highest detailed B/W pages (schematics) today
>at 400 dpi. The results were disappointing. All of the fine details were

The details will get smudged if you scan in grayscale. Also, print at the
same dpi as you scanned; printing at a higher dpi won't do you any good,
and your document will print 1/3 smaller.

>lost. I assume I need to use a higher resolution for printing. I also have

same as scanned.

Uncle Roger "There is pleasure pure in being mad
roger_at_sinasohn.com that none but madmen know."
Roger Louis Sinasohn & Associates
San Francisco, California http://www.sinasohn.com/