IBM mainframes

From: Jgzabol_at_aol.com <(Jgzabol_at_aol.com)>
Date: Mon Mar 1 01:33:55 1999

In einer eMail vom 28.02.99 17:56:37 MEZ, schreiben Sie:

<<
 I hope you are not thinking about those 3380s and 3390s on eBay right now
 - $500 a piece?!!?!?!!

 William Donzelli
 william_at_ans.net

I did, but transport is too expensive. I thought about building a controller,
and adding these boxes (about 2 cubic meters each) to a PC in opposite
movement to current
hard disk evolution. So I will need to wait until some nice 14" drives come
around.
Some years ago, I indeed DID build a controller for some CDC 14" drives,
to add onto a MC 6800 system (6800, NOT 68000 !!). That is not too difficult,
since the drives usually contain already some hardware to take care of the
servo functions, which is the most critical part, and of course write
drivers/read
amplifiers.

Regards
John G. Zabolitzky