e-bay item

From: Doug <doug_at_blinkenlights.com>
Date: Mon Mar 1 13:02:13 1999

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Marvin wrote:

> Hmmm, with all the DEC handbooks being mentioned here, why do you have a
> problem with telling people the handbook is available? Somehow, it
> seems like harassing people who post ebay auctions (and other items
> elsewhere) really doesn't do a bit of good except to provide a bit of
> irritation.

I thought we'd been through this before. The only thing advertising an
auction does is encourage a bidding war and drives the price up. This
benefits the seller, and nobody else. Are you suggesting that somebody
else might deserve the item more than the people who had already spotted
it and/or bid on it?

If somebody mentions something here that was offered via Usenet or some
other sales outlet, then the advantage would have gone to anybody who had
been actively looking for the item and had spotted it earlier.

Given that you're a frequent seller on ebay, I can only guess at your
motivation for bringing this up again. Surely you're aware that ebay
slants the advantage toward the seller (the reserve trap door, the
silly proxy system, national advertising, etc.), that prices of classic
computing stuff on ebay is spiraling out of control, and that buyers could
use a break.

-- Doug