e-bay item

From: John Foust <jfoust_at_threedee.com>
Date: Mon Mar 1 13:31:17 1999

At 02:22 PM 3/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, John Foust wrote:
>
>> Are you suggesting that the seller doesn't deserve the chance to get the
>> highest price they can find?
>
>I'm suggesting that the seller already has the advantage. Why increase it
>by turning this list into an advertising medium?

You mean the seller has the advantage because they own the pile,
or that if they advertise cheaply (like on eBay) they're certain to
find at least one buyer?

I'd hate to see the list become polluted with irrelevant postings,
but so far it hasn't been too bad. Someone could always start another
list with filtered eBay postings relevant to classic computers.
If eBay doesn't have agent searches that send daily results to you
by e-mail, it should.

>If you spot something that you think somebody would want, why not tell
>that person on an individual basis rather than fueling a bidding frenzy
>by tossing meat to a pack of wolves? (No offense to actual wolves
>intended. No meat was harmed during the posting of this message.)

I figure that if it's on eBay, wolves and idiots will find it regardless.
There's no sense shooting the first messenger, if just over the hill
there are thousands of messengers and potential buyers. It's like
trying to keep a really cool web site "to yourself." It doesn't
make any sense, and it's futile.

- John