e-bay item

From: Sellam Ismail <dastar_at_ncal.verio.com>
Date: Mon Mar 1 13:59:51 1999

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, John Foust wrote:

> I'd hate to see the list become polluted with irrelevant postings,
> but so far it hasn't been too bad. Someone could always start another
> list with filtered eBay postings relevant to classic computers.
> If eBay doesn't have agent searches that send daily results to you
> by e-mail, it should.

Shucks, I thought we went through all this about 4 weeks ago and a
separate list WAS created just for this very purpose? I must've been
smoking too much dope again I guess to have hallucinated that.

> I figure that if it's on eBay, wolves and idiots will find it regardless.
> There's no sense shooting the first messenger, if just over the hill
> there are thousands of messengers and potential buyers. It's like
> trying to keep a really cool web site "to yourself." It doesn't
> make any sense, and it's futile.

That's not true. Many times there will be some item sitting in a back
corner of ebay that nobody but you finds, and you end up getting it
cheaply. Wouldn't it suck if you found that really cool such & such that
you've always wanted on ebay, and its one day left and nobody has bid, so
you place a bid and are all set to win it for $2, then some joker comes
along who, not really interested in it himself, posts it to classiccmp and
now 15 people bid it up to $300.

That's what Doug is talking about. Its a double egded sword really.

But anyway, the point is an alternate discussion group was created for
ebay postings. It annoys me to see them posted here.

Sellam Alternate e-mail: dastar_at_siconic.com
Always hasslin' the man.

                  Coming in 1999: Vintage Computer Festival 3.0
                   See http://www.vintage.org/vcf for details!
                        [Last web site update: 02/15/99]