DECmate III software needed.

From: Max Eskin <max82_at_surfree.com>
Date: Sun Mar 7 10:26:38 1999

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Joe wrote:
>I'm trying to help a friend of mine get his DECmate III running again. Does
>anyone have any word-processing software for one?

You'll need a PC with a 5.25" drive. Do a web search for Teledisk, you're
eventually going to come upon the executable available for download.
Download it. You will also need an unzipping program like PKunzip or
WinZip.

Then, head over to ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/
pdp-8/diskimages/rx50. Now, there are two directories (folders, whatever),
one called labels, the other called teledisk. The first contains text
files that are the labels that you would place on files of corresponding
name in the second directory. For instance, blank.lbl in the first
corresponds to blank.td0 (compressed to blank.zip) in the second. Look
through the labels whose names begin with "wp", those are the WPS disks,
and select the ones you want. Download the corresponding ZIP files, unzip
them, and run teledisk (from MS-DOS, if in Win95 restart in DOS mode).
Now, you have to select the files one by one and write them to separate
disks. I don't recall how many of the disks on the site you need to
actually do word processing. You may also want the games files, those have
fun stuff like hangman. Good luck!
 --Max Eskin (max82_at_surfree.com)