What classic equipment was rebadged?

From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis_at_mcmanis.com>
Date: Mon Mar 8 13:12:58 1999

My own recent experience with this has been the Sigma RQ11 ESDI controller.
Through various comments here and on the net I tracked down Webster
Computer in Los Gatos who had a controller called the WQESD controller and
it too ran an on-board executive called WOMBAT. I talked to David Webster
and he said that both the Sigma controller and the Qualogy controller were
both licensed from Webster and were substantially similar. I ordered a copy
of the manual from him and it arrived on Friday. I must say they are darn
near identical to the Sigma controller and the Qualogy controller (I've got
one of each it turns out)

In "modern" times I've experienced rabadging in the 3D accellerator market
where everyone who makes a "Voodoo2" based 3D accellerator essentially uses
the 3DFX reference design. Consequently they all pretty much perform the same.

Rebadging was more prevalent earlier when everything had to appear to come
from the same company, but these days it is accepted that pieces come from
here and there.

--Chuck