Interesting to note about Altairs...

From: Jim Strickland <jim_at_calico.litterbox.com>
Date: Mon Mar 8 17:39:47 1999

At the risk of going WAY off topic, since no classic machine can run it, I've
been looking at the BeOS as a replacement for win95 once my thesis (and
thereby my dependance on winblows95) is over with. If they can get some
momentum built up (as well as windows API support) I think they're going to
be the next big thing OSwise. Not free, but competatively priced and MUCH
better from what I've seen.

Realistically I think that if the government makes good and chops Microsoft up
(please, oh please) the OS department will wither and die because their products
are so bad. Except in the corporate world, where NT will still limp along for
a while.

geeks will run Linux or BeOS on PCs because the platform will continue to be
less expensive, but the real consumer and small business worlds will be owned
by Macintosh. Between Macos X for servers and Macos 8.whatever for desktop
clients, IMHO if apple plays their cards right they can own those two VERY
lucrative markets.

Also, so long as I'm predicting the future... :) I'm going to predict that
as SGI comes to the limits of the MIPS archetecture, they're going to look
around for a BSDish UNIX/RISC platform with PCI and fast processing as well as
fast I/O to things like scanners and cameras in which to stick their custom
godly graphics electronics and software. That platform will be the G3 powermac
running MacOS X. I expect there to be some agreement between the two of them
within the next couple years, ranging from contracting each other to a merger.

Of course, there are a few big IFs in there. Apple has been known to throw
away industry leadership before, and it's still remotely possible the
government case against Microsoft will fail, but these are my predictions
and I'm sticking with them. :) I also expect that, once liberated from their
own wretched operating systems groups, the Microsoft applications side will
still be very much the 600lb gorilla of the software world. My understanding
is that works for MacOS is far and away superior to works for windows, so
obviously they CAN write good apps in non MS OSs.

--
Jim Strickland
jim_at_DIESPAMMERSCUMcalico.litterbox.com